Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
For me it began in defiance to having some entity tell me how much I have to pay for what I thought was my right to drive.

Well, once I stumbled across this site, it became an awakening as to how much control I could have over what I spent on driving and living. That led to it becoming a passion that I spread to my friends and an addiction that is overflowing to all my energy consumption.

I would rather spend money on advancements in technology to save energy knowing I may never fully recover the cost to simply advance the technology rather than support those that do not.

I never really think that I can impact the world view, but if I can give less money to those that want to ruin the planet it is more money I can spend on my family and enjoy the short stay on this revolving rock.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Drive lots knows little

blue sipper - '06 Honda Insight
90 day: 85.96 mpg (US)

BEAST - '88 Ford F250 Lariet
90 day: 24.82 mpg (US)
For me it is the challenge and the reduced costs as well. I drive way too many miles each week and squeezing a few extra miles out of each gallon of gas helps to make the bottom line look much better.
Reducing my stress levels is just a small side benefit.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
Put me somewhere between the "Eco-Rodding" (opposite of hot rodding) hobby side and "Engineering exercise" to simply see what is possible when you set your mind to it. Plus it keeps my mind occupied on the road and I find myself a better driver while hypermiling.

It appeals on many levels to me, although at first I could only describe it as strange, I still think it's strange but don't really care. Lately I've even gotten the girlfriend interested.

So maybe one day eco modding won't just be about duct tape and coroplast and we'll just be another group of car guys that aren't completely broke. (:
Old 08-31-2010, 04:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
The PRC.

Before I tried to optimise economy I found myself always trying to rush journeys - I have a fast car and liked to go fast. But the pressure was always there to be at the front of the queue so that nobody held me up - pressure pressure pressure.

Now going for best FE means I just compete against myself. I don't need to race or beat anyone else (although annoying BMWs still get 'sooted' every now and again )

But it does make journeys far less stressful for me, the car and the bank account.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
The pressure picture sounds too familiar. I'm glad to have outgrown the "need" to be at the front of the line too.

I did want to add that an unexpected side effect, IMHO, is that I am many times a more safer driver than before, and I think it is true in general for efficiency misers. It isn't a big selling point (don't leave the house if you like safe), but lemme explain:

Whenever there is a chance that the way will be obstructed, i.e. left turn car hanging out in your lane, kids playing too close to the street, anything within coasting distance, as soon as it is detected I automatically and instantly get off the gas and thus start decelerating. It is far far better efficiency wise to cut a burn short than to finish the burn then stomp on the brake. It requires paying a lot of attention to the road/sides ahead and a quick shutdown reflex.

Not only do I get off the accelerator instantly, but I also brake early and quickly if braking looks imminent, this reduces my approach speed to the obstruction, but allows me to retain the most momentum if my delayed arrival is timed correctly with the obstruction.

High pressure me would have hesitated, lamenting the loss of 1/2 second commute time, or worse, gunned it. Thus I was in more close calls, and "accidents" as the speeds involved in these situations were higher.

I do find myself occasionally in a position where it is more efficient to gun it to a yellow light than stomp on the brake, but knowing the routes intimately eliminates most of that, as do all the stoplight cameras popping up.
dkunitz (10-10-2010)
Old 09-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...paraphrazing a few tenents of 'successful' warfare that are 100%-applicable to eco-driving:

I. "...KNOW your terrain..."
II. "...PICK your terrain..."
III. "...USE your terrain..."

Reply  Post New Thread