View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 10:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
ChrstphrR
EcoModding Apprentice

Schwartzejetta - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
90 day: 52.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumnasgt View Post
Not only the US reports will be doing that, sensational news items are a nuisance available almost everywhere these days.

The one problem I see with this is how many people actually get under 3.9l/100km in their diesel. Lots of people on here struggle to match the EU numbers, so most people must be doing about 20-30% worse than that. So that means the VW Polo will actually be using 4.6-4.9l/100km, which is way over the cut off.
20-30% worse than the 3.4L/100km for a Polo quoted in the article would be 4.1-4.4, not 4.6-4.9 (which would be 35-45% over).

Given my experience with a now 10 year old diesel, much bulkier and heavier than the Polo... It is pretty damned HARD to screw up your mileage that badly. Careful adjustments of the nut behind the wheel... are only marginally better than tromping firmly on the accelerator for light car diesel engines.

Severe cold, hard braking, and/or hard acceleration, possibly all three, would be required to seriously degrade mileage on maintained diesel car/engine.