View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I am only taking one class this semester - one night per week.

I also have two other "seminar-type" classes, non-credit, which only meet once or twice.

I do intend to take more classes at that college (one per semester, rest of my life....) and I really DO think it is an ideal place for EV charging stations.

It's a "public place" - paid for by tax dollars. Just like the public bus system.
EV charging stations should be considered public transportation infrastructure.

Classes run long enough that any student vehicle parked there would get a significant charge. If my charger runs full-tilt for four hours, (the length of the class) that's about 80% charge of my pack.

There are a ZILLION parking spaces there, tens of handicapped spaces, and motorcycle spaces. We would only need ONE dedicated to electric vehicles. I'm sure the school could spare one.

NEVs and electric scooters are already on the road. The Leaf and Volt will be out this year (probably won't be in my area til summer next year though!) How long will it be before other people will also be demanding Charging Stations?

The school teaches renewable energy. There are FOUR giant PV arrays there, and a wind tower is going in soon. It only makes sense for a program like that to practice what it preaches, and provide access to electricity for clean transportation.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos