View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
boxchain
I'd rather be biking

Lexie - '98 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.46 mpg (US)

Beater Hauler - '92 Isuzu Pickup

Rentaclipse - '08 Mitsubishi Eclipse ?
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Fahrt - '83 BMW R80 ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
As Elixer mentions, there are some hard factors like RPM. Anything above 35mph in OD seems to get DFCO to trigger. Below 35mph on OD DFCO does not trigger, implying the rpms are below the threshold. In the same scenario, with trans in 3rd, you can get lower DFCO mph, due to higher rpm, but glide is affected
H.P. Long has a good grade! I grew up around your parts. I last lived on West End BLVD. Flood Town USA.
And that's why I'm trying to find out what the rpm trigger is. Might be different for an aut*m*tic, I know idle speed is and lots more complicated control algorithms. I've heard 1200-1500, but knowing where on my model could make a big difference for me.

I don't really P&G much on long steady stretches, since I don't have many. I mostly DWLBE (by ear ) and EOC, lots of traffic lights on my route, but not enough that they're easy to time, and the city of NO doesn't understand light timing one bit But I've been using DFCO more, in a lot of cases I'll come up to a stale red and try to engine brake from afar while trying to conserve momentum since I think it's turning green soon. The difference between shifting up at 1500 and 1200 seems significant from a speed rate perspective, but I'd hate to find that I'm burning fuel during some of this.

I guess you left before they put the Lake in Lakeview? They are widening the HPL, I wanna take my gf and some other new in town folks over it so they can experience 2-9' lanes and no shoulder, steep grade, with a curve near the bottom. A while back a truck tried to pass another truck (strictly forbidden) and they got stuck and had to close the bridge for an afternoon.

I drive to Michoud daily, so I can either take Paris road or the high rise, both very tall bridges over stupid canals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77
It's supposed to return to the low 30's again, so no worries yet on the A/C -- but I use the same kinda technique in the warmer months: manual cycling of the A/C on-off with recirc and med-hi fan depending on decel or highway downhill.
Yeah our low was in the mid 20s last night...Celsius! But we're getting part of the same cold snap, so we'll be in the 40s for a few nights.

My bike runs on dihydrogen monoxide.
I like to use these acronyms