View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #115 (permalink)
Zerohour
Master EcoModder

Pooparu - '01 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 28.12 mpg (US)

Cop Car - '94 Chevy Caprice Interceptor 9C1
Last 3: 18.48 mpg (US)

Mini - '11 Mini Cooper
90 day: 37.63 mpg (US)

Gramps - '95 Subaru Legacy Postal
90 day: 23.18 mpg (US)
Just throwing this into the thread. Its some additional answers to questions others may have:

Q: Do you use all tape? Or combination of tape and foil?

A: You can use the foil two ways. Yes you can do all tape. It will work. I like use sections of regular aluminium foil. Nothing special. I get the cheapest brand at Walmart!

Q: Do you use any release agents?

A: I do not use any release agent. I have in the paste tried to use objects as molds, and I used carnuba wax, It worked with minimal success. I think on a larger, flat surface it would do okay, but if you working with a disposable underbody (cardboard) the release isn't as important.

Q: What about wrinkles in the aluminum foil?

As for the wrinkles, yes the resin may get in there. Yes it will make it worse to remove. Its not impossible though. Flaten them out the best you can. If you have a "bad" spot, tape over it! :-) I've come to accept that spending more money on the foil tape is worth it. I use to try to conserve the hell out of the tape rolls and eventually just gave in. Trust me, Its worth to use more tape!

also when Using foil over large areas, you can "tact" down the surface in a very clever way. While covering the surface using the tip of a scissors to nip a hole in the foil. Then use a small square of tape over the hole. The hole lets the tape stick to both the foil and the cardboard backing! This is great because over large areas you'll end up picking up slack with the brushing the resin into the fiberglass. This only compounds the ripple on the end product. So tacting it down help reduce the ripple and yield less sanding when trying to smooth the surface!

Q: How do you cut/trim the fiberglass once it has hardened?

A: To cut the fiberglass after hardening, I use a dremel with a cut-off wheel. Theres not much else that I know of that will give you as much control as the dremel. I've thought about using the air cut-off wheel but its just too much torque and the blade is too wide to get good cuts in the corners. A WORD OF CAUTION!!! THERE IS A DANGER TO USING THE DREMEL! If you use a dremel around the edge of fiberglass you NEED to remove any strands of fiberglass or excess material that was not soaked in resin. This can be done with a pair of scissors. Its important to do this because it go back to a general rule of rotating objects and loose material. The fiber can and will wrap around the dremel head. And you won't have the time nor hand strength to stop it! This could result in a bad issue with our project (cut into a good part) or even worse, you may be going to the ER to have a finger stitched up. And as always, wear a dust mask with cutting the fiberglass!

And with the above being said, always use precaution when working with fiberglass! Use personal protective equipment! I know it adds to the cost of the project...BUT...its not worth your health!