View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
In 40 years it increased size by 25% but it gained ABS, air bags, traction control, fuel injection (allowing the engine to easily adapt to changing conditions), Supplementary Restraint Systems, crumple zones, it's much much faster than the original and gets equal if not better gas mileage. Plus getting a 1960's era car to 100,000 miles would be amazing, but getting a car to 100,000 miles today is an everyday occurrence.

I personally would call that a win.
I've had several 60's era cars over a 100k miles. I have two sitting at home right now ('67 Mustang with 140k miles, '68 Chevy truck with 220k miles). It's not much of a feat...

There are certainly improvements, but a lot of the weight comes from overstrict safety standards, unneeded electronic gizmos, sound deadening, and the ever-increasing exterior dimensions. Most of this I would prefer to have eliminated from a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
So it's more like comparing a Kaiser (or even Willys) made CJ Jeep to a Chrysler made Jeep Commander. No relation, it's just journalists backing up their short sighted opinions with some distorted facts.
Distorted? Not really... The Mini is just one example of many, many cars that have gotten very bloated. This is hardly a unique example.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods