View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
saand
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
Hi All,
I have been searching through the forums for data and found some great data which is now in the wiki.
Today I have come across an acetone thread, there seems to be much controversy over acetone so I do not know if acetone should go in the unproven section or the hoax section.

The acetone thread I came across is this one
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...test-2688.html

The thread showed several test results but nothing I would say were scientific enough to be happy with the numbers.

I wonder since that thread was written has anyone done a proper acetone ABA test.

MetroMPG I understand your reservation to testing acetone, I have however thought of a way to do the ABA test if this makes you think any differently. The method I am thinking of is as follows

- Before test fill up 2 equally sized jerry cans from the same service station at the same time.

- drive to your test site on standard gas.

- Ensure your car is warmed up when you get to the test site (if not warmed up drive around for a while to warm everything up, maybe run your test route once to warm up)

- [A test] Drain your fuel tank into a container. Fill up the tank with one of the jerry cans with no acetone added. Drive your test route several times if you like and take down the MPG readings.

- [B test] Drain your fuel tank into a container and pour back into the jerry can. Fill up the tank with the other "treated" jerry can that has some acetone added. Drive your test route several times if you like and take down the MPG readings.

- [A test] Drain your fuel tank into a container. Fill up the tank with the untreated jerry can again (for better results 3 jerry cans could be used). Drive your test route several times if you like and take down the MPG readings.

The post the results.
This method would be very time consuming but for me at least it would close off this whole acetone debate. It would also show if the acetone just cleans your injectors or if it provides some ongoing better combustion.

I would test this one myself but I am still trying to find a good test location for my other 8 tests I want to do.
MetroMPG i am not saying you should do this test, you have definately done plenty more tests than anyone else and provided some very valuable data. But this is a method that i think will work if anyone wants to test out the acetone modification

So has anyone got any further info or proper acetone data.

Where does everyone think it should go in the list, in unproven or in the hoax list