Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
[Mod list discussion] Wiki up and running. Thread for suggestions to main mod list

Hi All.
The wiki efficiency mod list is up and running. This thread is intended to be used for suggestions for the main wiki page.
That includes suggestions/discussions for new mods to the list, suggestion/discussions for moving unproven mods to the proven list

At this stage anyone is welcome to change the main page to add information on new unproven mods. Hopefully any new mod ideas have been talked about in the forums or there is some good confidence the mod works before entering into this main page.

Anyone with experience in any of the modifications in the list are welcome and encouraged to enter any useful information into the links contained on this main mod list page.

The page location can be found through the wiki link on the title bar or the direct link is
Car Modifications Main - EcoModder

Note: for general discussion on direction or information contained on the efficiency modification wiki see this forum
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...nfo-14248.html

For anyone new to writing wiki pages there is a help/instruction page linked at the bottom of the main wiki page which can be found by clicking on the ecomodder title bar link "wiki"

Also this is a work in progress, there are currently only a few entries of data in the list but it will become more populated over the next few weeks and months with the help of the ecomodder community.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Very nice. It'll be good to see this start getting populated.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Thanks, saand!

I can think of one that's been done, but isn't on the list for automatic transmissions: hacking the lockup torque converter for manual control.

Let me see if I can find the thread about it...

EDIT: found it -

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tch-10028.html
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 08-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
MetroMPG, great minds think alike, I had previously put a place holder for that mod, it is in the unproven section in the main page. I haven't yet had time to fill out the actual mod page yet but it will be coming soon.
I also put in the manual gear control of an automatic (manumatic) which there is a thread on, I shall be filling out that mod page soon as well. Just got to wait for the weekend when I have free time again.
I am hoping to try out these mods myself so I should have data and mod instructions for them at some point, will probably take me a month before I get to it though, work keeps getting in the way of my free time.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
Hi All,
I have been searching through the forums for data and found some great data which is now in the wiki.
Today I have come across an acetone thread, there seems to be much controversy over acetone so I do not know if acetone should go in the unproven section or the hoax section.

The acetone thread I came across is this one
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...test-2688.html

The thread showed several test results but nothing I would say were scientific enough to be happy with the numbers.

I wonder since that thread was written has anyone done a proper acetone ABA test.

MetroMPG I understand your reservation to testing acetone, I have however thought of a way to do the ABA test if this makes you think any differently. The method I am thinking of is as follows

- Before test fill up 2 equally sized jerry cans from the same service station at the same time.

- drive to your test site on standard gas.

- Ensure your car is warmed up when you get to the test site (if not warmed up drive around for a while to warm everything up, maybe run your test route once to warm up)

- [A test] Drain your fuel tank into a container. Fill up the tank with one of the jerry cans with no acetone added. Drive your test route several times if you like and take down the MPG readings.

- [B test] Drain your fuel tank into a container and pour back into the jerry can. Fill up the tank with the other "treated" jerry can that has some acetone added. Drive your test route several times if you like and take down the MPG readings.

- [A test] Drain your fuel tank into a container. Fill up the tank with the untreated jerry can again (for better results 3 jerry cans could be used). Drive your test route several times if you like and take down the MPG readings.

The post the results.
This method would be very time consuming but for me at least it would close off this whole acetone debate. It would also show if the acetone just cleans your injectors or if it provides some ongoing better combustion.

I would test this one myself but I am still trying to find a good test location for my other 8 tests I want to do.
MetroMPG i am not saying you should do this test, you have definately done plenty more tests than anyone else and provided some very valuable data. But this is a method that i think will work if anyone wants to test out the acetone modification

So has anyone got any further info or proper acetone data.

Where does everyone think it should go in the list, in unproven or in the hoax list
Old 09-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
saand, Weather Spotter: Could you please add a section on the Mods page that discusses how to "validate" any mods made? Something that discusses A-B-A testing and the methods to achieve reasonable results. Need to address those that have cruise control and those that don't (I have a few threads bookmarked for that purpose, btw).

Additionally, other methods to learn about our cars ought to be posted, if they haven't already (find rolling resistance, find frontal area, calculate CdA, etc)

Thank you! Awesome work so far!!
Old 09-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
The other things about cars, aero, cd and stuff are under the reference section: Main Page - EcoModder

As for the other section, please send me the bookmarked pages and I will work on a validation page (super idea by the way).

Thanks for helping add to the wiki, I have seen you work the last few days and it has been great (no need to edit )
Old 09-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
NightKnight

Subaru

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel

Thanks for the pointer... shoulda looked before I made the comment about the "other things"

ah, and one more suggestion... The mods template table should have one column for a picture of the mod... optional of course, but definitely a handy reference ... ought to be able to link to the "finished" picture of the mod within the reference forum thread (versus uploading a new picture within the wiki environment).

BTW - not related to the mods page... can you add a link back to the forum in the "Tool Box" area?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I think that you can a link anywhere.

As for linking picts, I have not been able to find a way to do it, I think that we must upload it (so it is always there).
Old 09-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
NightKnight

Subaru

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel

The links within the toolbox have to be added by someone with access to the wiki config files on the server.

And you're right, the "show external images" option is disabled ... something else that can only be changed via the config files on the server. Dunno if it's possible, but it sure would be nice if we could link only to 'external' (i.e. non-wiki) pix that are on the ecomodder domain... ah well...

Reply  Post New Thread