View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Interesting....

Today is overcast, but still bright. No need to use electric lights. And it's cool outside. No reason to run the furnace or air-conditioning.

Sounds like a good time to start switching off circuit breakers for find phantom loads.

Pretty much everything in the house was off, yet I was still using over 50 watts.

I unplugged 3 timers, used for a light and my aquariums.
With everything off in the house, it was very quiet. I could now hear a faint buzz from my furnace. So, I flipped off the furnace circuit-breaker, and my wattage dropped by 6!
Who knew a furnace has a phantom load of 6 watts?!

My dishwasher has a 1 watt phantom load.

My sump-pump circuit has a 2-watt phantom load. There is a power strip down there with a couple things plugged into it. I will have to crawl down there and see which it is.

One thing that I forgot about is the the smoke detectors in my house are HARDWIRED for electricity, with battery back-up!
That circuit (which also includes my wife's alarm clock) take 6 watts.

In the end, I was able to get my power down to 5 watts.
Of course, the TED receiver uses power. I plugged that into a Kill-a-watt, which read 2 watts. The receiver itself is marked as 1.5 watts, but the Kill-a-watt only does whole numbers.

That leaves 3 watts left over.
If the receiver uses 2 watts, I don't think it is a stretch for the transmitter to use 3.

Keep in mind that this is all done over a computer wireless network. My computer is a laptop, which can run on batteries. My wireless router and internet access can not. I ran a 100-foot extension cord to the detached garage, where I ran the those items off the 48V battery backup UPS I have there.

So, that's it. All energy use finally accounted for.

Now that I know where it's all going, I can start to take steps to see where else it might be possible to trim down a few more watts.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos