View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
This plan sounds like an elitist way of keeping poorer people out of the central city.
Not the poor, just the cars, or the most polluting ones. Notice, this is done only in cities that have a good public transport system and Park&Ride lots at the city limits. Less cars in the center, by taxing all of them (London) or just the most polluting ones (Germany), not only improves air quality (reduction of health expenses - finansed from taxes), but also improves public transport transit times, making it an even better option. In some cases, the money from the taxes is invested in making the transport system even better.

Even without taxes, a 90-day public trans ticket here costs less than one full tank of fuel. Most people I know fill up once a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Charge more in a purchase tax on the car when it is new if it pollutes more per gallon and increase the tax per gallon that will effectively do the same thing with out
It's not just about taxing the polluting vehicles, it's also about keeping them out of the most congested areas. The more a car pollutes, the worse it is for the environment and for people.

I believe that cars should be taxed and/or not permitted into certain areas based on how dirty their emissions are, this should help people make cleaner decisions when buying/repairing their vehicles. But I also believe in taxing fuel, as this should be an incentive to use less, thereby further reducing pollution.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 09-08-2010 at 03:25 PM..