View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 02:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automcdonough View Post
wow.. building from scratch?? I hope you have the facilities to cut and weld 1/2" thick steel with reasonable precision!

honestly I don't see this working out to be any cheaper than buying one and converting it. 90% of that metal is going to be the same. unless you have some wild twist to put on it! mount this in the bed of a 4x4 truck instead of treads?
To respond to this, I will quote the wise and learned Bugs Bunny: "He don't know me very well do he?"

I'm a furniture maker and I fabricate in wood metal and glass. I have a bunch of scratch built stuff under my belt: Glass kiln, Glory hole, glass melting furnace, 24" lapidary wheel, Snow plow for my elec trak, house, etc.

As for price, I could buy a new cheapo harbour freight digger for about $3000 US but where's the fun in that? True, It is orange which, for me is almost reason enough but I love projects, so this would go under the heading of : Q: Why did you do it? A: Because it wasn't there.

But seriously, the components that go into the harbour freight digger are mostly Chinese. I will be sourcing mostly high quality Canadian and USA made parts. (Italian hydraulic spools, no less) I will have to go with some china crap but will try to keep it to a minimum.

As for wild twist: I have decided to go with hydraulic stabilizers which will make the machine easier and safer to use on my hilly property.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.