View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
cons
EcoModding Lurker

Odd - '04 Ford Ranger
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
YEAH BABYYYYYYYY!
Just did another test run, same stretch, 60.56 mpg!
I really feel like there's something to it since the previous run, same stretch was 59.77 mpg. Here's the differences:
1st run: had to stop 5 times from full speed, some slower driving involved.
2nd run: little windier, ran the fan a little bit, noticed the pass. side mirror was opened (closed it half-way through run w/o stopping!), had an oil change couple days ago, drove 45-60 the whole way, no slow downs, no braking.
Did the same fill-up style for precision: pull up, wash the windshield so the gas has time to settle, fill-up, start filling out mileage details on my chart (kills another minute), then top off one click. Same gas station.
Before this, here's the following fill-ups:
0.25 gallons, 16 mpg (purely slow driving and lots of stop signs)
1.372 gallons, 59.77 mpg (pure hwy)
1.530 gallons, 23.53 mpg (mostly town)
2.114 gallons, 36.899 mpg (mostly hwy, but a bit of town)
1.321 gallons, 60.56 mpg, pure hwy, pretty ideal conditions except for some cross-winds

NOW, I'm ready to calm down and do a bigger tank for my commute. But I really feel strongly about this. Lastly, I DO believe being at 6,500 feet elevation helps. Think about how baseballs and golfballs fly way further up here. The air is less dense so it gets pushed around the car easier. Maybe the oxygen/fuel ratio is the same, but that's only part of the equation.

Thoughts?