View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
I have been EOCing and P+Ging a lot lately with my better batteries. My starter started to stop working so I was worried about a rebuild but it turned out to be that the solenoid was worn off one on side of the contact plate. After 300,000 K I'm not surprised. Brushes were fine and windings perfect. I spaced out the plate with a washer to expose unworn material and now it's good for another 300,000. I love my Toyotas.

Quote:
I suspect the restart pollution is being caused by the cat temps dropping.
What about the Prius and the like? It has a lot of "eoc" time but still qualifies as an ULEV (or whatever) and no insulated cat. Perhaps the issue with your VX is software related.

I have heard that insulating the cat is a very bad idea. They can overheat and melt down. Perhaps shielding it from the airstream is enough but not too much. Another advantage of belly pans?

My glides are usually a 1/4 mile or much more so I doubt I'm worse off although I will look at a shield for the cat soon. Must be better than just the stock one which would be designed for worst case scenario over-heat.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.