View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
Be happy that large scale companies are finally producing hybrid and electric vehicles that will get to the general public. Its something that should have been pushed before I was even born. But the cost of producing was just too much and the technology did not exist. The infrastructure to provide the batteries, to produce the electric motors, and ability to have a supply chain from stable companies took 15-20 years to develop. And quite honest, if it was for a massive push from laptop/notebooks/cell phones to conjure up producers of lithium, you current hybrids and electric cars would have NEVER been produced.
Electric motors:
Quote:
The first commutator-type direct current electric motor capable of turning machinery was invented by the British scientist William Sturgeon in 1832.
Quote:
But the cost of producing was just too much and the technology did not exist.
The only major differences in producing an electric vehicle over gas ones are the batteries motor and electronics and batteries are the only technology that requires any major innovations in manufacturing.

Quote:
Electric vehicles first came into existence in the mid-19th century, when electricity was among the preferred methods for automobile propulsion, providing a level of comfort and ease of operation that could not be achieved by the gasoline cars of the time.
The NiMH ovonic batteries that were installed in the Toyota Rav4 EV and the 2nd Gen EV1 in the early 90's are still in use on a large number of Rav4s and give it the range and cycle life that lithium is just catching up to now(or is it?) at a lower cost. The EV1 got over 125 miles on the ovonic batteries.

From the Wik:

EV1:"
Quote:
Cars with the lead-acid pack had a range of 80 to 100 miles, while the NiMH cars could travel between 100 and 140 miles between charges.
RAV4:
Quote:
As of 2010 there are 800 units still in use
Quote:
with a range of 100 to 120 miles (160 to 190 km). The 95 amp-hour NiMH battery pack has a capacity of 27 kWh, charges inductively and has proven to be surprisingly durable. Some RAV4 EVs have achieved over 150,000 miles (240,000 km) on the original battery pack.
Quote:
The RAV4 EV's batteries can be recharged from being fully depleted to fully charged in about 5 hours,
Sorry, but most of your last paragraph sounded like a GM PR exercise. So I'm happy they are producing them but I'm not letting them off the hook for the reasons you give.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.