View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96sentra View Post
Wait, I don't understand how I would do a P&G with EOC

So I go to pulse to say 60mph, then I have to clutch, turn of the engine, and glide down to say 50mph

then reengage the clutch (which turns the engine back on), accelerate at full throttle (to minimize BSFC) to 60mph, then clutch and turn off the engine.

But that would kill my left leg with all that clutching. Is there a smarter way to P&G? I just don't understand how anyone actually does P&G in the real world (although the theory makes good sense)

How does Palemalenesian P&G?

Thanks
You can also just pull the thing out of gear without the clutch; use the gas pedal to ease the strain on the gear box then push it into neutral. WHen done right, it takes only the pressure of a single finger to push it out of gear, and doesn't harm the transaxle in any way.

Adding a fuel cut off switch to kill the fuel pump would be an easy mod and make it easier to kill the engine without using the key. Especially if your speedo is electronic controlled and dies without the key on, most modern cars are like this.

And as piwosalw said, your leg will get stronger

(BTW, don't start your glide phase if hills or traffic dictate it to be a bad idea.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.