View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #125 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I would be hesitant to put an idler on the tensioned side of the belt, but it may be doable.........

What about using a different radiator hose? Rerouting the path it takes so you can adjust the pulley upward wouldn't be rocket science- depending on how much flexibility you have in the hose and room under the hood for upward movement, you might be able to fashion a bracket to push the existing hose upwards enough to get it out of the way.

I could see how moving the idler would be a major PITA assuming you had to take it all back out again, so I wonder if you could use a bit of plate steel to move it upwards the inch or so required? The attachment point could be the existing hole, and the tension of the belt should keep the arm in place without additional support. Problem could be how close your belt is to the plate the tensioner pulley is mounted to, since adding a bracket of 1/4" plate would move the pulley further out.

(Isn't that the type of tensioner used for timing belts? It tighens up by twisting around the mounting bolt?)

I hate to say it, considering your previous wait on the custom pulley, but if the motor pulley was an additional inch in diameter, that would move the tensioned part of the belt downward somewhat, maybe making it just a close fit instead of rubbing.

It may be educational to learn the diameter of Skidds supercharger pulley....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.

Last edited by ShadeTreeMech; 09-23-2010 at 04:56 PM..