View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3AkAzOiD View Post
Example: My Father-in-law just traded in his Audi wagon and Mini and bought an AWD Nissan Rogue suv and a Shelby Mustang GT500.

Meanwhile I'm trying to find a way to make $160 last two weeks.
You may be surprised at how little difference in mileage there might be between the cars he sold and the ones he bought.

Many here may think my recent move to a rebuilt Nissan Altima coupe was a step in the wrong direction. I look at it differently.

I sold the Insight to a husband and wife who are both members of the US Air Force band. They commute 70 miles a day to work, so they can live in an affordable home in the country.

I sold my VX to a mother of 4 ranging from 12 to 22, whose husband died in 2006. She is struggling to pay for her daughters to go to college.

While the Altima gets about 75% of the mileage of the VX and about 60% of the Insight. I have two motorcycles, one of which I will sell, that will make up for the difference in mileage and my monthly consumption will actually drop because I am not taking nearly as many trips as I used to when pursuing my patents implementation.

The two cars I sold paid for the Altima, and as I am getting older, with a bad back for over two decades, the difference in ride and ease of operation is of great importance to me, as well as the fact that my wife can drive my car comfortably. The only time she drove either of my previous cars was when she banged up the front end of her car, and that was the CVT Insight for a week while her car was repaired.

Last accident with damage for her was in 1983.

The value of FSPs has risen about 25% since the early months of 2009. Gas prices will always determine demand for FSPs and the Arabs know they will bring on the inevitable elimination of the OPEC monopoly if they get to greedy again.

While they could badly damage our economy in the short term, in the long run they may suffer greater consequences themselves, unless they enact laws in their own country that address the feeding of their own populations.

I have great respect for those here who dedicate much effort to achieving ultra high mileage from their vehicles, but the general population will never go to that extreme effort to accomplish the same.

The solution is to build vehicles that achieve great mileage by design and to understand that is possible. Every technique used to achieve great mileage can be incorporated into the vehicles themselves. When that is done we have solved the problem.

Sadly every has their own personal agendas (me included) and in many cases they loose sight of the real objective which is to eliminate our dependency on foreign sources of energy. We have the resources many times over to accomplish that objective, but the effort needs to be blind to any individual pathway to success.

regards
Mech