Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Ecomodder

Cobalt XFE - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)

'05 Malibu V6 Tow Vehicle/Track Car - '05 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6
90 day: 23.12 mpg (US)

'08 XFE average for 2013 - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
When?

I just read somewhere that buyers NOW have been going for the big cars, SUVs, and pickups again.

Example: My Father-in-law just traded in his Audi wagon and Mini and bought an AWD Nissan Rogue suv and a Shelby Mustang GT500.

Meanwhile I'm trying to find a way to make $160 last two weeks.

2012 mpg

Last edited by Fr3AkAzOiD; 10-03-2010 at 12:26 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-03-2010, 04:45 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
When?

I just read somewhere that buyers NOW have been going for the big cars, SUVs, and pickups again.
Gas/Diesel over time will continue to go up in price...

Right now I don't hear everyone complaining about gas prices though. When gas was over $4.00 a gallon many people were freaking out over it. Eventually over $4.00 a gallon will be normal pricing.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3AkAzOiD View Post
Example: My Father-in-law just traded in his Audi wagon and Mini and bought an AWD Nissan Rogue suv and a Shelby Mustang GT500.

Meanwhile I'm trying to find a way to make $160 last two weeks.
You may be surprised at how little difference in mileage there might be between the cars he sold and the ones he bought.

Many here may think my recent move to a rebuilt Nissan Altima coupe was a step in the wrong direction. I look at it differently.

I sold the Insight to a husband and wife who are both members of the US Air Force band. They commute 70 miles a day to work, so they can live in an affordable home in the country.

I sold my VX to a mother of 4 ranging from 12 to 22, whose husband died in 2006. She is struggling to pay for her daughters to go to college.

While the Altima gets about 75% of the mileage of the VX and about 60% of the Insight. I have two motorcycles, one of which I will sell, that will make up for the difference in mileage and my monthly consumption will actually drop because I am not taking nearly as many trips as I used to when pursuing my patents implementation.

The two cars I sold paid for the Altima, and as I am getting older, with a bad back for over two decades, the difference in ride and ease of operation is of great importance to me, as well as the fact that my wife can drive my car comfortably. The only time she drove either of my previous cars was when she banged up the front end of her car, and that was the CVT Insight for a week while her car was repaired.

Last accident with damage for her was in 1983.

The value of FSPs has risen about 25% since the early months of 2009. Gas prices will always determine demand for FSPs and the Arabs know they will bring on the inevitable elimination of the OPEC monopoly if they get to greedy again.

While they could badly damage our economy in the short term, in the long run they may suffer greater consequences themselves, unless they enact laws in their own country that address the feeding of their own populations.

I have great respect for those here who dedicate much effort to achieving ultra high mileage from their vehicles, but the general population will never go to that extreme effort to accomplish the same.

The solution is to build vehicles that achieve great mileage by design and to understand that is possible. Every technique used to achieve great mileage can be incorporated into the vehicles themselves. When that is done we have solved the problem.

Sadly every has their own personal agendas (me included) and in many cases they loose sight of the real objective which is to eliminate our dependency on foreign sources of energy. We have the resources many times over to accomplish that objective, but the effort needs to be blind to any individual pathway to success.

regards
Mech
Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Ok, checked out Cruze specs at there site . I don't see how you can compare Cruze to cobalt . The Cobalt is sub-compact much smaller in size and the Cruze is somewhere between Cobalt and Malibu .MPG seem about what you expect for feature/size IMO .
Now if they put the engine options of Cruze into a Cobalt platform that should give bump in MPG .

Someone said there dropping Cobalt , where did you read that ?
Old 10-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
EdKiefer -

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKiefer View Post
Ok, checked out Cruze specs at there site . I don't see how you can compare Cruze to cobalt . The Cobalt is sub-compact much smaller in size and the Cruze is somewhere between Cobalt and Malibu .MPG seem about what you expect for feature/size IMO .
Now if they put the engine options of Cruze into a Cobalt platform that should give bump in MPG .

I think the comparison is being made because the Cruze is the designated replacement to the Cobalt, but I know what you are getting at.

There's been talk of that swap here :

Ecotec 1.4 (Cruze turbo) swap potential? - SaturnFans Forums

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 11-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TBSS - '08 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS 2WD
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '09 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 22.96 mpg (US)

Big Blue Hippo - '06 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 45.99 mpg (US)
Looks like the Cruze Eco beat the estimates. It's officially EPA rated at 42 mpg highway.

DailyTech - Chevrolet Cruze Eco Rated for 42mpg
Old 11-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Its built by the UAW. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Report: GM, UAW clash over Chevy Cruze repairs — Autoblog
I suppose you were not raised by a father in the UAW such as I was. We need better paying jobs or else nobody will be able to afford a new car.

Support American
Workers!
Old 11-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKiefer View Post

First of all they are all either were or are assembled in the same plant in LordsTown Ohio, just as the Chevy cavalier it had replaced, and now, in turn, the cruise is replacing the Cobalt. Believe me I have considered trading my 2009 Cobalt in for a new Eco Cruise. Side by side one can see a lot of similarities, but The Cruise is getting rave reviews, has a much cooler looking front-end/Grill and the interior is MUCH nicer than any model of Cobalt. And, yes, The Cobalt is called a sub-compact, but many drivers dispute this, The Cruise I seen appeared a tiny bit larger inside, but nothing to stop the presses over.

I prefer the rear of a Cobalt Coupe with a spoiler with the standard round taillights, it reminds me a little bit like a 'Vette. I wish I could keep the rear end of my Cobalt Coupe XFE and combine it with the front end of the new Cruise- that would look nice I believe.

Support American
Workers!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 41.44 mpg (US)
Please keep this civil guys...every body has an opinion...this is a place for ecomodding not arguing about the UAW.

The problem during the last round of super high gas prices is that the dollar was worth more.This time around its worth about 40% less and dropping constantly as we keep printing money with nothing to back it up and have inflation looming...so as gas gets up towards $4.00/gallon again everything else will get way more expensive so people will pay more attention to it this time around.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 41.44 mpg (US)
I forgot to mention... I saw a Cruze around town the other day...it does look bigger than a cobalt. I seem to remember reading that it is supposed to be bigger.

I like the tech on the ECO model especially the shutters for the lower grill.

Reply  Post New Thread