View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
mwebb
Master EcoModder

no nickname , it's just a car - '04 volkswagen golf tdi
do NOT use the cam timing advance wheel

if you use the 3tech economy cam do not use their +10 cam wheel .
because if you do it advances EVC Exhaust Valve Close to 334 degrees ATDC which does not allow all of the spent gases to escape into the exhaust before the exhaust valve closes
so
it is kinda like having built in EGR that never switches off
at idle or at WOT , which effectively decreases the engine size and reduces available power
in the geo metro forum
i have put up pressure transducer waveforms showing this with the OEM cam and the 3tech economy cam with the +10 cam wheel
currently
i am using the 3tech economy cam with the OEM cam wheel , have not yet captured the pressure transducer waveforms to see EVC (it should be 344 degrees ATDC now ) but there is a noticeable increase in power .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
The XFI was not sold in Canada, but the 3-tech cam company does grind here. They recommend changing the cam timing as well, which messes with the nitrogen oxide emissions but improves economy. If you have the pre-95 body, it is smaller and lighter, and can be swapped up to 13" tires to help the gearing issue. Those changes get you most of the way there. The weight difference was just cheaper trim and soundproofing. I take out most of the seats, and wear earphones for sound conditioning.