View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
A small fine is objective if you only make $1667 before taxes a month and get a speeding ticket for $150 that is nearly half a weeks pay. So in that situation paying about 1% of your after tax income as a speeding ticket would make a difference ($20,000yr * .16tax). If the person that gets $150 speeding ticket makes $85,000 a year before taxes gets the ticket it will not be effective for them. Speeding tickets should have a set minimum and increase with income.
Do what we do here. You get points. Points do not make prizes.

Non serious speeding is 3 points - I have 3, Mrs A has 3. Most people do.

More serious speed = 6.

Dangerous driving 6 to 9 to a ban.

Mobile phoning and just being caught 3 points.

Mobile phoning and being dangerous is 6 to a ban.

If you get 12 points then its game over, your licence is removed and you are walking or on the bus for 12 months or more. DUI is also a ban straight away. This is from the moment you are found guilty - quite a few people forget this and drive to court thinking they can drive home and then surrender their licence.

The points reset after a while, speeding a lower seriousness crimes drop away after 3 years - you gain an extra life If you get your licence back from a ban though your insurance will be a killer.

All of this is on top of fines.

Fines can be large. Even if you have enhanced breasts, which I do not. Mine are natural and due to over indulgence in pies

Jordan found guilty of driving rap - mirror.co.uk

Quote:
Katie Price escaped a driving ban yesterday, despite being convicted of not being in control of her 7.5 tonne, £115,000 pink horsebox.

The multi-millionaire ex-glamour model was fined £1,650 and given three penalty points after a court heard two police officers saw her swerving into an outside lane on a dual carriageway while using a mobile phone.

Price, aka Jordan, desperately tried to avoid being convicted as she faces two further outstanding motoring charges and is now just two points away from an automatic, six-month driving ban.