View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
Bicycle Bob
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
The nice thing about building elevated bikeways is that people on bikes don't occasionally crowd together to watch something to nearly the same density that they do on a pedestrian bridge. Consequently, the loading is about 5 times lower per square foot than for highways or footpaths. The same advantage would benefit the monorail. It also gains from having steel wheels, with very low friction. I'd like to have the option to ride my bike, all packed from shopping, onto a monorail car that gives an all-weather, streamlined cover. However, any old separated bike expressway would do, and the nearby residents might prefer it to the sound of steel wheels.

Many cities have bike routes along waterways that are a good sample of what could flow all over a city, without cutting it up like a car expressway. At rush hour, the bikeway would be going at least as fast as the car highway anyway.

During the planning for a steep hillside community, I proposed laying out all the streets at about 2 deg slope, with occasional bike lifts going straight up across the grid, powered by available water. You could coast down from anywhere to a lift road, and from there down to anywhere else.

Last edited by Bicycle Bob; 10-08-2010 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: Addendum for cross-posting inserted