View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 12:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Duffman
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Marketing is not the art of convincing people to buy inferior products. That's the work of a charlatan. For all the work SVO and MetroMPG do marketing this website - I'd hate to think we're all here for inferior reasons.

Marketing is not limited to the sale - your experience may be with those targeting sales, but that's not the entire scope.
I think kind of the opposite. I think those that are selling are doing just that, they are selling and there is nothing wrong with that. If you have a good product people will buy it because they need it and it is a good product.

I don’t need a commercial for laundry detergent to tell me I need it. When I go to the grocery store and go down that isle, I buy the stuff because I see it there and I realize I need to wash my clothes.

Next time you see a car commercial, look and see if they talk about HP, fuel economy, headroom, legroom, trunk volume… or are they just putting up images of car racing around a corner of hearing an engine revving under load. There are countless examples of this but the beer industry is the best example and the worst offender. Beer should be bought purely on taste and price, when was the last time you seen them advertise about either of these qualities, they only promote an image. That is marketing, promoting an image, it has nothing to do promoting the merits of your product.

Take a $5 tee shirt and put a Nike swoosh logo on it and bam, its quadrupled in value. That’s due to marketing because its still the same shirt, and that is why I think that marketing is about promoting inferior products or getting people to pay more for them than what there worth.

Just my 2 cents.