View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 12:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
hvatum
EcoFodder

Jetta TDI - '00 VW Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
I actually figured that out later lol
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209&page=3

Back on topic

How concerned are you in regards to safety?

What kind of loads do you carry? Tow much?
Thanks for the tips Dremd, also thanks cfg83 for the tip about plugin Prius's. That would be a neat thing to do down the road.

Safety is important to me, and it looks like the the Jetta or Golf end up a bit better on that count than the Prius. Cargo space is a must have, sometimes I need to move a lot of stuff, or go on vacation so an ultra small amount of storage space wouldn't work. More is great.

Which car would be better if I "have to" drive 65-75mph on the highway? I have a feeling the diesel might win here, but I'm not sure. I just calculated it out, and even though I make local trips every few days (use my E scooter for commuting) the BULK of my driving is long range. For Skiing and visiting family I drive 5,000 miles or more per year, almost all highway. Local driving nets me maximum 1,000, so 85% of my driving is highway driving.

If I didn't have the electric scooter there would be a lot of really short trips in there, but anything where I'm by myself and is under 2 miles away I bike.

Good point about Gas prices LOSTCAUSE, Diesel is more expensive here, I've heard it might get cheaper again once producers have paid for upgrading to low sulfur production methods... might