Thread: tuft testing
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Varn
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Aerohead, that is basically how I was building my front wheel fairings. I used 9 gauge wire and sewed dacron on the them. I did coat the dacron with a layer of carbon then wet it out. The dacron acts as a mold and is a mold release as well. I like the look of the fabric how it flows between the metal frame parts. I got the idea watching some ridiculous car stereo program and they built in their speaker enclosures much the same way.

I may start some real work on the rear of my minivan. I am not sure how much I will get done as I refuse to do any carbon work in my shop. Too hazardous but perhaps building the rear framework and using dacron fabric might get me started.

I have made my front grill cover permanent now. It is finally gotten smooth enough to start looking good too (Apply a thin layer of micro, sand it off, repeat.). Today I fitted it in so that that the hood could be opened without removing it. I have a 1/8" gap so that is pretty small. I may use a technique that learned to make the gap as thin as a layer of duct tape.

"The reward of suffering is experience."
Harry S. Truman

“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”
Ayn Rand

Last edited by Varn; 10-16-2010 at 05:49 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Varn For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-08-2011)