View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #439 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
I think I know to whom you are referring. When you have an ultra-low Cd, you don't have to go slow to get good mileage. The folks at that forum are impressed by 36mpg at 78mph in their draggy Priuses (on the rare occasions when they hit those speeds) whereas I'm getting double that mileage at that speed in my old tech non-hybrid. The nice thing about CD reduction is that it allows you to get good mileage at highway speeds where a normal Cd car's mileage is dropping like a rock. And if you have lean burn, it really allows you to stretch that into the higher speed ranges. The old VX max lean burn speed of 65mph is stretched out to between 100 and 105mph and has a large usable cushion for climbing gentle hills and mild acceleration when travelling at 70mph. My old 55mph is the equivalent to 70mph as far as what the wind sees.
If I had a do over on my VX, and knew what I know now. I would have copied your design in sheet metal, since the car was nailed in the rear when I bought it.

Some people just don't seem to get the idea that a car is supposed to provide us with high speed transportation. While I might not drive at the speeds you do at times, with the 70 MPH limits in NC, aero has definite benefits.

My hat is off to your dedication to making your car get great mileage at realistic highway speeds, instead of great mileage at speeds you could easily maintain with a electric assisted bicycle.

Edit;
You are also producing half of the CO2 or their Prius at those speeds.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 10-18-2010 at 11:03 PM..