Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #431 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CO is called the silent killer for a reason

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #432 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crx driver View Post
Can you please tell me how you came across that superMID?
Yoshi in Japan was making them for $150 each. I have no idea if he is still making them. Check out the SuperMID M-1 Mileage Computer information portal thread at GasSavers.org for more info and Yoshi contact links.

SuperMID M-1 Mileage Computer information portal - GasSavers.org - Helping You Save at the Pump Hypermiling and Fuel Efficiency Forum
Old 10-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #433 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Yo Basjoos, seems like some other person on some other forum thinks you should be crawling around and averaging 22 MPH so you can get super mileage.

regards
Mech
Old 10-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #434 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hey--it ain't me!

-soD
Old 10-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #435 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Yo Basjoos, seems like some other person on some other forum thinks you should be crawling around and averaging 22 MPH so you can get super mileage.

regards
Mech
I think I know to whom you are referring. When you have an ultra-low Cd, you don't have to go slow to get good mileage. The folks at that forum are impressed by 36mpg at 78mph in their draggy Priuses (on the rare occasions when they hit those speeds) whereas I'm getting double that mileage at that speed in my old tech non-hybrid. The nice thing about CD reduction is that it allows you to get good mileage at highway speeds where a normal Cd car's mileage is dropping like a rock. And if you have lean burn, it really allows you to stretch that into the higher speed ranges. The old VX max lean burn speed of 65mph is stretched out to between 100 and 105mph and has a large usable cushion for climbing gentle hills and mild acceleration when travelling at 70mph. My old 55mph is the equivalent to 70mph as far as what the wind sees.

Last edited by basjoos; 10-18-2010 at 08:10 PM..
Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #436 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am still kind of new to these forums but not new to modding my cars for better mileage. I am going to be buying a '92 Metro for very cheep and was wanting to do something similar to what you have done. I am curious if anyone on these forums has gone as far as you have with a metro for aeromodding, and if so what kind of mileage they have gotten.

I am going to be using some left over foam insulation to make the body panels out of, easier to carve and shape, then with fiberglass covering it so it can be painted and looks decent. I am curious if anyone has used 2" foam insulation as a body mold before. I was going to turn the Metro into a 2 seater, cutting behind the B pillars and starting the boat tail from there back and making the front end of the car quite a bit more pointed and sloping.

I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on this please.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #437 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
take a look at this insite project:
Honda Insight Tail Extension Project - Page 19 - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
he has done what you want to do and has lots of pics
Old 10-18-2010, 10:46 PM   #438 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfor4x4 View Post
I was going to turn the Metro into a 2 seater, cutting behind the B pillars and starting the boat tail from there back and making the front end of the car quite a bit more pointed and sloping.
I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on this please.
Are you planning to add a tube frame like CoyoteX? You do realize the Metro is a unibody car and if you cut the roof the body will sag and the doors won't open, right? Try this link to see what MetroMPG did with a Geo. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...mpg-10691.html

mfor4x4, how about starting a new thread with your questions? Many here are eager to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.

Last edited by COcyclist; 10-18-2010 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: not wanting to hijack this thread
Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #439 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
I think I know to whom you are referring. When you have an ultra-low Cd, you don't have to go slow to get good mileage. The folks at that forum are impressed by 36mpg at 78mph in their draggy Priuses (on the rare occasions when they hit those speeds) whereas I'm getting double that mileage at that speed in my old tech non-hybrid. The nice thing about CD reduction is that it allows you to get good mileage at highway speeds where a normal Cd car's mileage is dropping like a rock. And if you have lean burn, it really allows you to stretch that into the higher speed ranges. The old VX max lean burn speed of 65mph is stretched out to between 100 and 105mph and has a large usable cushion for climbing gentle hills and mild acceleration when travelling at 70mph. My old 55mph is the equivalent to 70mph as far as what the wind sees.
If I had a do over on my VX, and knew what I know now. I would have copied your design in sheet metal, since the car was nailed in the rear when I bought it.

Some people just don't seem to get the idea that a car is supposed to provide us with high speed transportation. While I might not drive at the speeds you do at times, with the 70 MPH limits in NC, aero has definite benefits.

My hat is off to your dedication to making your car get great mileage at realistic highway speeds, instead of great mileage at speeds you could easily maintain with a electric assisted bicycle.

Edit;
You are also producing half of the CO2 or their Prius at those speeds.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 10-18-2010 at 11:03 PM..
Old 10-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #440 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I realize that the metro is a unibody car. Some back ground on me is that I am mechanic by trade but I also do some body work too as well as fiberglass and wooden boat repair. I was going to make a new heading when I start my project, thanks for the links they were very informative. I was planning on reinforcing the unibody frame with 1" square steel tubing. It will be a fun project when I'm done rebuilding my Aveo.

Reply  Post New Thread