View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 01:27 AM   #314 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
Even the government says you can expect a 4-5% loss (at least I thought that was the going number) maybe 3% is what you would lose on a WELL TUNED to run on E10 engine ??

In my cars the FUEL PUMPS DIED. car stopped working. No more go juice coming out of the pump. its pretty easy to test. pop the outgoing fuel line apply power. No fuel means bad pump.

I DO notice that is also effects the sending unit. caught me off guard at first. I figure it must be the conductivity difference? the fuel gauges "moves" at a different rate and position on E10 and E0 no problem since I drive by the trip meter but I did notice it.

"why not leave the water in there?"

Coyote. the reason is that others are telling me the longer term effect of water in the gas are VERY bad for my engine (pitting corrosion etc..) I am assuming they know what they are talking about so I assume the danger is real (not sarcastic I mean it) so I have been trying to figure out how to remove all of the water.

as for that nice diesel water seperator. removing water PRESENT in the fuel is easy. I just put a drain at the bottom and "drain off" the water/alcohol.

My concern is the INVISIBLE water. ie the water in SOLUTION in the gasoline.

is there a way to measure how much water is present? maybe the amount present is low enough not to be a threat?

SO I guess the question that needs to be answered.

IS WATER bad for my engine or not?

WILL any residual emulsified water IN my washed gas HARM my engine?

Is there a SAFE legal way for me to store 50 gallons of gasoline? NFPA only suggests 55gallon steel drums for gasoline storage. Is that LEGAL?

what about a home heating oil tank? is that SAFE?

HOW many gallons can I legally and safely store? is 2 5 gallon cans ok? (that would be enough for the lawn equipment for the summer for example)

Zeolite? curious stuff. I am curious though if it absorbs WATER how is it useful for WATER purification?

although I guess if it absorbs water and ONLY water and you then heat it to release the water it would be "pure" water.

thats interesting :-)