View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
if you have ever faced a blowout or tire separation at highway spds, you might reconsider over inflation
Oh you mean YOUR highway speeds. If you're actually going the speed limit or slightly less it's just like Frankly says: "flap flap flap flap.....oh... I've got a flat." This just happened to me recently and coincidentally I was listening to Car Talk on NPR when it happened . I wouldn't advocate people to do things that make them feel unsafe, but I would advocate for people to gain perspective on what is and isn't safe - put your idea of safeness to the test every once and a while.

I just got both my cars inspected and I was running some junkyard tires on one of them - unacceptable to the inspector. So I just throw a couple of other, better looking junkyard tires on and it passed. I personally love recovering perfectly good stuff from being wastefully destroyed and embrace the recycle, reduce, reuse ethic. I'm glad I've got the personal patience enough to calmly change a tire when it blows out. There's something very cool calm and collected about most of the things I've learned here and practiced on the road - a zen feeling I never ever got before.