View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #352 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
Hmm there are 2 wires to the o2 sensor. I don't think the ECU controls any part of the o2 sensor. appears to be a "dumb" system to me. IE the o2 does its thing and sends the data to the ECU and it simply reads and reacts to that data. as far as I know the ECU can not control any part of the o2 ie can not send a "command" to the o2 sensor.

does an O2 actually know what 14.7 to 1 is? or does it respond to variables in O2 levels and that "happens" to be 14.7 to 1?

or will it also respond to the new fuel and "happen" to be 14.2 to 1 ?

IE does the O2 care? either it works or it don't and sends the data to the ECU
IE does the O2 read 14.7 to 1 or does it just read STOIC?

If it actual reads 14.7 to 1 then its going to have a problem with E10 but if its just reads STOIC then it should not "care" if its E0 or E10 stoic is stoic.

now if the later ie if its perfectly happy at 14.2 to 1 how will the ECU respond to receiving this data? or is it also dumb ie see's stoic and is happy OR is the ecu instructed as to what stoic is? IE does the ECU jsut read "stoic lean rich" or does it read 14.7 to 1?

My question to you DCB is why is it that in your mind bad gas "can not" be the answer? BTW I don't think its bad gas. I think its "different gas" and my vehicles are not designed for it as well as millions of other vehicles on the road and 99.9% of people simple don't care don't know or don't even check.

how many normal people even BOTHER to check their fuel economy. remember the cars run fine they sound fine they operate correctly. They just use "more gas" than before.

mwebb - how exactly do I check the O2 sensor. I have that little DS Nano scope but I really have no idea "HOW" to actually use the thing.

not just in placement of the probes but in how to make it "read out" what I need.