View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 06:32 PM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Belly pan how-to

This is a thread for belly pan how-to information. I don't have the information, which is why I'm asking for it here! This thread would warrant a sticky, imho.

For anyone who has built a belly pan, can you please post some details and hopefully pics?

Here are the issues and questions I have, as I consider how to build one for my Civic:

1) Any vehicle likely needs a frame to support the belly pan from above. Has anyone built one that attached directly to the car's underbody?

2) How to attach framing and sheet material? Rivets? (aluminum or something else??) Sheet metal screws? Rubber well nuts, aka expansion plugs?? Something else?

3) What framing and sheet materials did you use? What worked and what didn't work?

4) How did you deal with the engine bay, between radiator bottom support bracket and the firewall?? Were you able to put a panel over the area, or at least over part of it?

5) How did you deal with the exhaust area? I'm considering leaving mine uncovered (it goes down the center till it gets near the gas tank) but what did you do? If car has a rear muffler, did you cover it over?

Thanks!