View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 09:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Niner
EcoModding Lurker

Niner_xA - '05 Scion xA
90 day: 35.82 mpg (US)

Horse Hauler - '95 Ford F-250 XLT
90 day: 13.47 mpg (US)

Butterkup - '02 Mazda Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
So, if you solder both ends together, then connect that to one lead of your power source and the other lead in the middle of that wrapped wire, you will have two 110V volt heaters in parallel, right? Which would be exactly what Moro is looking for?
You don't even have to cut the element. Just solder a tap into the center of the wrapped wire. That gives you a power feed, then ground both outer ends of the element. Instant ~110 heaters, in parallel! Well, probably not perfect, but since you're giving them well less than 110v, a little bit off on either side will be ok - the side that's shorter will just operate closer to the rated current and the longer side will run slightly under power, and not quite as hot.

I played a bit with heating wire back when I rode a bike - I made some gloves that had bits of heating wire glued to them (using the puffy fabric "paint" you see at craft stores). They would heat my hands up pretty well, but I didn't get enough wire in the finger areas to really do what I wanted. Of course, risk with 12v is pretty low, but by keeping everything in the stock case and just adding a new power lead, you reduce risks.