View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 10:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I've got another video coming of riding in it. Sorry, I just haven't had any time to edit and post it. (New baby, work, etc.)

Acceleration was really good. The cabin was really quiet. At 70mph, you could carry on a normal conversation just fine. Very smooth ride.

I was surprised at the "unfinished" look under the hood. Also, all the wire harness under the back by the gas tank looked like rather untidy as well. I don't know if the final version of the car will be just a tad different or not. I was told that this was the production version of the Volt, but I can't help but think that they missed the zip-tie guy on the assembly line.

The one technical question I did want to ask the tech guy was about the whole "does the engine drive the car mechanically above 70 mph?". The guy got very serious, and said that he could NOT comment on that at this time. He did say that there is a lot of mis-information out there about that right now.

During the drive, there was one point where he asked me to turn the camera off to talk about something, which of course, the pack of GM lawyers standing over my shoulder prevent me from talking about...

We also did do something during the drive to intentionally cause the generator/engine to kick on. It was seemless. You couldn't hear it or tell that it happened without the guy specifically pointing it out.

The other odd/cool thing that I remember is that the AC drive makes a really cool little whine for just a moment as the car pulls away from a dead stop. I SO want it as a cell phone ring tone.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos