View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
autoteach
Master EcoModder

Bus - '94 Ford School Bus huge

Stupid - '01 Chevy Blazer LS
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)

hawk - '00 Honda Superhawk
This has been covered, but I will say what I know, not what I believe. A flywheel has a really important job that cannot be overlooked. If you dont have an engineering degree in ICE design, it may be difficult to choose the best flywheel weight for your engine. A flywheel must carry the momentum of the crankshaft with enough energy left over to compress the intake charge with a minimal drop in RPMs, which would negatively effect the engine as ignition would happen to soon, causing an overload on the crank bearing. What weight is that for your or my engine? I am not an engineer. this is what I do know...

Lightweight= better acceleration after the clutch has been fully engaged, engagement takes longer, as engine torque is decreased due to reasons mentioned above. Idle negatively effected, as well as cold weather starting. Shifting is tougher, causes more wear on trans. difficulty pulling taller gears at lower rpms.

Heavier= accelerates slower, engagement is faster. Shifting is easier, causes less wear on the transmission. Idle is smoother, cold weather starting is easier. Higher top speed achievable.

The info I have given covers stock (heavy) and lightweight (lowest allowable for 3 different vehicles that I have worked on). Is there a happy medium, yes. I am not an engineer, so I have no clue to what weight it should be.