View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #64 (permalink)
MN Driver
2000 Honda Insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
I KNOW, RIGHT! ELECTRICITY IN HOMES? FROM SMALL "OUTLETS"? THAT'LL BE THE DAY!

I can't wait until the day my house gets wired with this 'electricity' thing. I've heard it's quite the added convenience.

I wonder if I need to upgrade my service though, I've got a house built in the 80's, right before they went to a 200amp service standard. I know that I don't need more than a 100 amp service in my house but I'm not sure if I could get away with tossing in a 50 to 70amp charge cord for a 100+ mile EV. The Tesla has charge ports that push 70 amps. I don't use much electricity and the largest load would be the air conditioning from the 20amp 240v circuit. I use a laptop and the fridge might run. 50amp would be comfortable and I might get away with a 100amp service with most of my appliances running. ...it's all about code requirements though. I'd toss the 70amp breaker and wire up a charger myself since I'm the homeowner and wouldn't mind flipping the 100amp breaker once or twice if I had to until I found the limits to what I could run. What does is the largest Leaf charger? I think J1772 goes up to 70amps if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Leaf uses a 40 amp breaker for 240v charging and J1772 is limited to either 70 or 80 amps depending on where I look.

Last edited by MN Driver; 11-04-2010 at 08:56 AM..