View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
gasman
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
No isht? Better not tell my small engines that or they'll stop running.
No isht. just google about it for all the info. And if you're still curious, call any dealer of them, or any manufacturer and ask them.

as far as the reasons, here are a few: (ethanol blends...) draw moisture into the system (which is exacerbated by the fact that small engines often go months without use), they destroy gaskets, o-rings, seals, floats, diaphragms, etc. (because they are usually plastic in small engines), they cause severe corrosion, and it is especially dangerous for 2-cycle engines because it dissolves additives in the oil (negating the necessary lubrication), which effectively makes it like running straight gas with no oil. Small engines simply aren't designed to withstand gasohol, and it shows. They fail very quickly.

I learned my lesson a couple months after they started adding it into fuel at most big stations. My motorcycle started running like crap, and I was having problems that I never had before.. and they got worse and worse. One day I happened to be getting gas at a gas station (gasohol) in some portable gas containers, and an old man asked about it. I told him what the gas was for, and he told me about the gasohol issues. I went back and googled, and was pissed. Anyway, I changed back to regular gas for my small engines (including motorcycles) and I haven't had a problem since. I just had to go through and change some gaskets and delaminated lines that were already destroyed. Lesson learned.