Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

^^^ It's there, you just haven't found it. I've heard some people say "well, people just don't buy that here in the city" and whatnot, but that's not true. Small engines (lawnmowers, chainsaws, weed-eaters, and so on) can only use ethanol-free gas. In cities, of course, there are always many companies that cut grass, prune trees and the like. They are getting their fuel somewhere, so just find out. I didn't know about any in one city I've been recently frequenting, so I stopped and asked some people working on someone's yard. They pointed me in the right direction.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...what'd Shell do? Just eliminate all added ethanol and go back to 100% gasoline?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Daihatsu - '05 Daihatsu Cuore osaka
90 day: 48.51 mpg (US)

hch2011 - '11 honda civic hybrid 1.3 elegance
90 day: 39.6 mpg (US)
I live in The Netherlands, and Shell does sell the "FuelSave" gasoline here. I guess they started selling it here approximately a year ago. It replaced the normal "euro 95" gasoline and is sold for the same price.

Since I have a Shell service station around the corner, I regularly fill up there. Since the introduction of the FuelSave gasoline, I haven't seen a noticeable change in my fuel consumption... Also, when I use another brand of fuel the consumption doesn't really change...

So either it is just a marketing strategy, or the difference is too small to notice..
The Following User Says Thank You to werner For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (05-28-2013)
Old 11-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Small engines (lawnmowers, chainsaws, weed-eaters, and so on) can only use ethanol-free gas.
No isht? Better not tell my small engines that or they'll stop running.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
wdb (11-05-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 04:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
I've been using the Fuelsave Diesel over here it replaced regular at the same price (although the general fuel prices have since started to rise) and from my evidence it make chuf-all difference. over the last few fills my mileage has stayed about the same.

twitter.com/bertchalmers
Old 11-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
No isht? Better not tell my small engines that or they'll stop running.
No isht. just google about it for all the info. And if you're still curious, call any dealer of them, or any manufacturer and ask them.

as far as the reasons, here are a few: (ethanol blends...) draw moisture into the system (which is exacerbated by the fact that small engines often go months without use), they destroy gaskets, o-rings, seals, floats, diaphragms, etc. (because they are usually plastic in small engines), they cause severe corrosion, and it is especially dangerous for 2-cycle engines because it dissolves additives in the oil (negating the necessary lubrication), which effectively makes it like running straight gas with no oil. Small engines simply aren't designed to withstand gasohol, and it shows. They fail very quickly.

I learned my lesson a couple months after they started adding it into fuel at most big stations. My motorcycle started running like crap, and I was having problems that I never had before.. and they got worse and worse. One day I happened to be getting gas at a gas station (gasohol) in some portable gas containers, and an old man asked about it. I told him what the gas was for, and he told me about the gasohol issues. I went back and googled, and was pissed. Anyway, I changed back to regular gas for my small engines (including motorcycles) and I haven't had a problem since. I just had to go through and change some gaskets and delaminated lines that were already destroyed. Lesson learned.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Please, let's not turn this thread into another ethanol debate. If you must (or believe you must) have ethanol-free fuel, just contact all the fuel dealers in your area. Despite living in an area where 10% ethanol is mandated by law, I found several ethanol-free sources for use in a boat engine that specifically warned against it.

---

Werner & robchalmers: not surprised you didn't see any change. (Aside from the fact that tank-to-tank observation is less likely to reveal anything meaningful.)
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 11-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
I live in The Netherlands, and Shell does sell the "FuelSave" gasoline here. I guess they started selling it here approximately a year ago. It replaced the normal "euro 95" gasoline and is sold for the same price.
Then you're lucky.

In Belgium Shell V-power (Diesel) and other premium fuels are sold at premium prices - the official maximum allowed price.

Does it help ?
Not that I've ever noticed.
Certainly not enough to offset the 10% or higher difference in price.

My best FE ever is a draw between regular Esso diesel and Aral premium diesel.

My Spritmonitor fuel log only shows a substantially better overall FE on premium diesel than on regular, because the statistics are skewed by changes in driving habits.

For the last 4 months, it shows 0.25 L/100km better FE , or 47.137 vs 49.623 mpg - the difference looks better in mpg - or a 5% better FE.
I might use those 2.5mpg to push me over my target of 56mpg.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
The PRC.

My unicorn is doing well at the moment, thanks for asking.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Daihatsu - '05 Daihatsu Cuore osaka
90 day: 48.51 mpg (US)

hch2011 - '11 honda civic hybrid 1.3 elegance
90 day: 39.6 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Then you're lucky.

In Belgium Shell V-power (Diesel) and other premium fuels are sold at premium prices - the official maximum allowed price.
The FuelSave replaced the normal Euro95 gasoline, but Shell also sells the V-Power premium gasoline and diesel in the Netherlands; The V-Power fuels are sold at a premium price...

Strange thing is that the V-Power gasoline sold in The Netherlands is only 97 octane, while the V-Power sold in Germany is 100 octane.

Reply  Post New Thread