View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Adjustable fuel economy buzzer?

I had a thread going on about how I put a sticker on my speedometer to encourage me to slow down.

That did get me thinking about what it would take to design some sort of an audio cue to indicate that a person is driving too fast or not getting good enough fuel economy.

If you can get speed and RPM data from the car through the OBDII port, what would it take to design a device that would buzz, chime, or playback a repeating audio file when your speed was above a preset limit. (Arduino-based?) Alternatively, could it be set for a certain RPM or calculate to buzz when you are below a certain fuel economy?

The idea is that when you drive bad, you get punished with the audio reminder, that doesn't stop until you drive nicer.
Sort of like how the new hybrids all have little visual diagrams of a tree that grows with branches - it helps "teach" you how to drive.

I suppose it could also be set up to turn on a red LED or some other visual reminder.

I'm just trying to think of something simple to help improve driving, which could be retro-fit to vehicles.

Your thoughts?

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos