View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #116 (permalink)
NHRABill
EcoModding Apprentice

Tahoe - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 13.22 mpg (US)

SRX - '04 Cadillac SRX AWD

XL - '05 Harley Davidson Sportster XL
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)

Alero - '02 Oldsmobile Alero GLS

Corvette - '75 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
The energy needed to build a new fuel efficient car is way less than the energy you're using to drive your chevy. You could also buy a used compact car and fix that up if you're really worried about the energy used in building it, but I have a feeling you don't really care. And if you don't, why say that you do? I don't give two ****s about pollution and if anyone asks I won't BS about why I don't. Don't hide behind some BS about a new car taking more energy to make than your chevy will use in fuel, just say you don't care.
Wow that is a really uneducated opinion of a response. I guess fenders and doors just come like that and there is no resources used to create them. Most people would be in shock as to how much energy goes into producing the smallest of items. If I didn't care about my impact in regards to emissions I guess I would drive my 7mpg 6-71 supercharged Corvette around town seen as it does not need to pass the state required tests due to its age. I will lease and toss away vehicles like they are trash evey 3 years because I can afford to and not purchase the monthly passes to take the train into the city, idling in the Lincoln tunnel will knock 15 mins off my train ride and is so much better for the enviroment. I am not a tree hugger, if costs and waste can be cut I will do so I call it being responsible there is no need to put a label on it.

Instead of playing the Monday morning quarterback and blaming the cars of the past by bashing the present lineups PROVE that you want to be more responsible and purchase a vehicle based on its Safety, Efficenciy and cleanliness. If you Need a truck buy a efficient Hybrid, If you need a compact car buy the best mileage you can find. If you only need one vehicle to do the Job of 3 because you only drive 12miles per average day, buy responsibly or not at all. We hear the words supply and demand a lot but if you do not need a new vehicle don't buy one. Being a mechanical person with a hobbie of rebuilding cars, I chose not to add to the demand for a vehicle that can tow a 6,000 lbs trailer 12 times a year, I simply revived one lessening the need for another truck to be manufactured.

I do understand not everyone can rebuild a car to meet their needs and that new ones will always be made. My needs for a family caris something that is safe and efficient. It will be used in addition to my current truck, and used average of 10-20 miles a day maybe 6,000- 8,000 miles a year tops and it needs to fit 3 people. The Volt would fit my families needs and I could use it daily without using any gasoline whatsoever. I would still need a truck for towing and the 4x4 beach driving but only for a few thousand miles a year.

For my needs a Volt would be the perfect choice this is why I plan to purchase one in the future and not use any gas. in the mean time I will not add to the demand for a new vehicle that is only slightly better in MPG then what I currently get. Top speed of my daily drive is 40mph in a 1 mile stretch rest of the time it is 25mph not many cars will do better than the 12-15mpg I get in my old beater except the Volt.
1975 Corvette Stingray *active*
1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible 149k *Sold 2013*
1998 Blazer ZR2 189k *Sold 2012*
1995 Tahoe LT 250k *Sold 2011*