View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #131 (permalink)
autoteach
Master EcoModder

Bus - '94 Ford School Bus huge

Stupid - '01 Chevy Blazer LS
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)

hawk - '00 Honda Superhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
What do you think they should be?
If you're going to compare the two then you should use the same (unadjusted) figures, which is ~39/48mpg for the 2011 civic, pretty close to the 41/54mpg for the old civic, and it weighs twice as much, accelerates faster, has more in the way of creature comforts, and all those fancy emissions controls too.
There are a few cars that get 50mpg using the same metric the old civic pulled 50mpg, but there aren't many that can pull 40mpg on the adjusted EPA tests w/o being hybrids.
Well, what would I want electrics to be, or politicians? I think I will go with the hybrid/electrics...I just dont think that the savings in fuel over a well designed vehicle outweigh the pollution of production. I am talking about the chain from mining to driving. It is displaced pollution, and unregulated.

Ok, you make a great point on the new civic with uncorrected numbers (unfortunately I dont know what the correction rates are). You also support my arguments, its bigger, heavier, accelerates faster, has more "creature" comforts... What is necessary? GPS, heated seats, or a car that is more efficient?

And you are right, there aren't many that meet the 50, let alone 40mpg w/o being hybrids. Should that be the case? I dont think so.