View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoppv View Post
the last thing we need is some dolt plugging in his Leaf and driving off while dragging a charging station behind him!
All of the manufactured EVs (even Ryland's Citicar) are designed so that if they are plugged in, you can't turn them on and drive off.

On a homebuilt electric vehicle, it's easy to leave that circuit out of your design! (My Electro-Metro has that feature, but it's not actually hooked up right now.....)

Also, the charging plug on pretty much all EVs will always be on the front, or the driver's side. That way you can't help but see and notice it.

One my car, I have to unplug it just to squeeze between the car and the wall of the garage!

VPOPPV: I think many of us feel the same way as you. We don't really want these big expensive charging stations, but people don't want to put up due to cost - we really just need an outlet! I'll have to double-check that ChargePoint station, and see if the 240V version also has a 120V jack hidden inside.

MPaulHolmes' link above goes to a web page where a guy is making adapters. They are not horribly expensive. Still, it would be nicer not to have to use one.

Also, keep in mind that "Charging Stations" are NOT CHARGERS. The charger is built into the car. The Charging Station is simply a glorified electric outlet. I only mention this because I often hear non-EVer's getting confused over that.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Nevyn (11-15-2010), Ryland (11-15-2010)