View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I like the tapered approach -- slowly get rid of the item. The failure rate of "Cold Turkey" approaches are quite high...like you said: a lifestyle change.

This is proven in "Crash Dieting". Diets generally fail to work -- when you reach the target weight, now what? Burn out tends to happen before you even have to worry about it.

The approach is moderation for food (I lost 40 lbs. with this idea). Eat what you want, just not a lot of it. Slowly taper off of caffeine until it's gone.

BUT, you have to fight that mental and physical dependence to not go overboard and "cheat" on the taper.

I'm not a Doctor -- I just play one on EcoModder

RH77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
Honestly, the best way is to stop consuming caffeine drinks. I don't mean to state the obvious, but there isn't an easy way out. The same as with dieting, the only way to get healthy is to make a lifestyle change, not wait for the "as seen on tv" magic cure.

It is easier said then done, but right now I'd just say screw it, I'm not drinking caffeine anymore. Throw out all your coffee, soda, and tea immediately, and duke it out.

Feel horrible in the morning? Tough. Can't stay awake? Slap yourself. Like coaches used to tell me in football - have a bloody nose? Stick some mud in it...Don't wait, don't hesitate, don't feel self sympathy, just do it.

I don't think my self-help plan would be very popular, but I bet you it would work.

- LostCause

_
_