View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #99 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
will post 'em Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_frontal_area View Post
you will find me within a few lines of your photo, however it is that special quality or curse which has allowed me access to some pretty cool discoveries.
had i always done as i was told in school i would have missed out on some truly wonderful experiences, the times being told "you cant do that" having been top inspiration to me.

can you please dig up some similar studies, i would like to read more on the subject.

i was awarded a student edition of Microstation for some work i had done
unfortunately Cosmos CFD was not part of the suite at the time of the award that will be the first step. when i worked at Northrop University (now defunct) their 1/4 scale atomspheric windtunnel was sold to Rice university
across the street, reacquintance with it would be the next step. dunno what ever happend to the supersonic tunnel they had?

in terms of expense, groovy http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post204002 was $500 which IS a lot of money to me, the embellishments to it in terms of $$ and materials shouldnt be, time however
will be more valuable.

thank you for your warning! i have been playing with and dodging wind since i was a youngster, i know it will soil your britches in one instant or try to kill you the next without even blinking.

according to your posts you've been to b-ville several times, have you missed
seeing the ducted cars while on the salt? how is it that these "non functioning ducts" allow cars which would otherwise be unsafe beyond certain vehicle specific threshholds to go as fast as their engines will propel them?

i have only been to the big lake once during a small meet, but spectated and
even competed at el mirage many times - during which times i have seen several ducted cars. one owner told me when i asked what this thing was sticking through the middle of his car: "it is a vent. nose lifts at 120."
he got spanked for using it, lost his "stock" status and was bumped up into the next higher (speed) class.
then he said "but i don't care cause i get to run my baby. we have been over 150 and at times the only thing that shakes - is her ass"

Black magic? compettitors psychology?
i dont think so.
m,f,a,,I found your other post on the ducting and I'll post some material references for you this Saturday.
With respect to Bonneville,the only 'ducted' car I've seen ( and I've not seen a fraction of what's out there) was one of the Studebakers with the tubes running from behind the backlight to under the car in an attempt to spoil lift.
As far as doing this for drag reduction,at the tail end of Race Car Engineering and Aerodynamics,by Paul von Valkenburg,an ex-GM engineer,he gets into suction/ducting,and I think the reference is from J.J.Cornish III' work in this area.While 'passive' ducting can cause counterflow,with the air actually moving rear-to-front,a 'pump' can be used to suction the boundary layer and expell to the wake for a definite drag reduction.
The hitch so far,is that it requires more energy to run the pump as is recovered in drag reduction,so you end up with a net loss.
Your logic is not ill-founded,it's just that so far,no one's been able to pull it off.And this is big-dogs with deep pockets,big labs,and extreme motivation to make it work.