View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 11:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Who
UnderModded

Pablo - '07 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD
90 day: 23.62 mpg (US)
Traction control is nowhere nearly as good as all wheel drive. Y'all as EcoModders and EcoLurkers have to be slightly appalled when the brakes are squeezed just to help you get or keep going. Worse yet, when they ECU intercepts the default throttle mapping and it greatly reduces the effective throttle pressure. All this while you try and pull across a busy highway at an uncontrolled intersection in a thunderstorm with your kids behind you. All wheel drive (4 wheel drive is dead in all but pickups) just allows you to keep traction a while longer before resorting to the same braking and throttle manipulation. Big difference in my opinion - to the point where the ESC gets in the way for the most part in deep snow unless you lock out the torque split. AWD is superior here because you can even drive locked up at all drives. They aren't mechanically joined so they'll split, and besides, the ECU takes over above 25 KPH anyhow.

The most surprisingly near ideal handling / controlling / driving vehicle I've ever driven was the Honda Pilot. It's looks don't sit well with me. It drives like it should be as swoopy as the smoothest most aero rally car if that isn't an oxymoron. Instead it sends a very confusing message. It should be smooth like the civics. And have a 2.3 litre 6 speed manual option, but I'd want the AWD it has.