View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
redyaris
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Or imagine if your auto insurance charged you even if you only drove a mile in a month... wait they do!
But I see your point, we get charged $11 per month for natural gas hook up, we only use natural gas for heating our house so for 8 months or more out of the year we don't use the service, almost $100 just to be hooked up without getting anything.
You are right that there are many ways to charge for stuff. I do see that this type of pricing is sometimes the better of several evils. Each pricing system has pros and cons. The question then becomes what do we want the price signal to do in the market place? Buy more or buy less? The other question is who should benifit from economy? The indevidual or the group? The buyer or the seller? depending on the stuff being bought each of the pricing systems gets a turn as the lesser of so many evils. My preferance for things like energy is that all costs should be included in the unit price, ie $/kwh or $/GJ that way the responce to price is for most indeviduals to find ways to use less...