View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_Sentra View Post
Saying that the problem is overpopulation oversimplifies the problem. The problem is over consumption not over population. Humans have always managed to over consume their resources even with much lower population than we have today.
MY problem is overpopulation. 20 years ago I selected my house because of it's off the beaten path/quiet/semi private location. Almost of the development in this community has happened/is happening all around me for some strange reason. I listen to construction equipment and dump trucks for 3 seasons a year for the last 10 years. Traffic has increased in front of my house, oh, 10x? Someone ran over my cat. They added another runway to the airport which (used to) be 4 miles out but is rapidly getting encircled- the result is flight paths right over my end of town. But enough about my town and how much the quality of life has gone down. Were I to bail out of this hell hole and go back to the farm... well, a few year ago they "improved" the rural two lane road and now it seems like every semi in the tri-state area feels the need to use it. There is a LOT of jet noise from the intl airport 90 miles away! And other misc B.S. that clearly says that spot has gone to pot too. Oh, there's a 3rd spot "in the family" I could go; where Grandpa's summer cabin is. Trouble is, "development" there means there are 3x the amount of cabins now vs when I was a kid, and every one of them appears to have 10x the number of lightly muffled engine powered **** than they used to, not to mention the rednecks with open piped pickups and bikes that can be clearly heard across the lake- that is, when it isn't buzzing with jetskis and motorboats. Except in the winter, it's quieter in town!

The trend in this state is clear: you have to go way waaayyyyyy out in the middle of nowhere to get away, and even then you can't because the mud trucks, atvs, dirt bikes, and whatnot will proudly let you know you ain't alone.

I don't even need to bring up the traffic situation- "rural", small town, city- all of it way more congested in only the snapshot of time which is my experience. Where does it end? Seriously? When the entire continental U.S. looks like Jersey?

I wintered in California- Oh what a beautiful place... it USED to be. Weather is nice but the area now is little more than a support system for traffic and the infestation of humans that clog the place up. I have an acquaintance that grew up where I stayed, 40 years ago. He says, Wow how great it was, but now it's wrecked. No way will he go back, probably not even for a visit. I concur, it may be nice enough for me to visit again but I don't want to live there. I guess I was born 80 years too late.

The problems are overpopulation and overconsumption BOTH.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
tumnasgt (11-22-2010)