View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I'm curious though, at, do you not believe me that when my car first starts on b100 it smells more like something from the kitchen than short term death (like my neighbors truck that idles for an hour)?
You can smell the higher concentrations of HCs and CO (odourless, but you can taste it) in fossil diesel, but NOx goes undetected until it pours down as acid rain.

There's no denying that biodiesel is better regarding HC, CO, S02, PM, and is mostly a closed CO2 cycle, but NOx remains a problem.

If I could run it in my car, I would, but the engine maker strongly advises against it - B100 gets into the oil when it's injected post-combustion to raise the temps in the particulate filter.
Even using B30, the oil swap interval should be halved (to 6200 miles).
I'll have a go at it when the car gets older though
On top of that, there are no pumps carrying B100 or even B30 - we do have B5 as standard though.

That's were legislation should come in, to force the engine makers into producing B100-capable engines by default.
In newer VWs, you can't run B100 anymore though it worked in the older ones ! That's taking a step back rather than forward.