View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #57 (permalink)
nimblemotors
EcoModding Jack

Nice work on the Veloliner!
The foam doesn't really weigh enough to strip it, if it was aluminum or something stronger, it would make sense. For my doors, I'm using aluminum sheet embedded in the foam to make it much stronger.
You are right that there is a lot of "core" material used for boats that is much easier to use than mixed foam that needed grinding, balsa wood, and other material, some quite expensive. But must order it and wait wait wait for delivery, I want to get the bodywork done to clean up the mess and get back to the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
I have used a couple of pints of the TAP foam. It is great for making shapes and excellent at gluing pink or blue board together.

Another way of doing what you are doing is to make v shaped strips of pink or blue board and tacking it on the inside of the your panel. I would make the outside from a layer of fiberglass on the outside and a layer of carbon inside it. The fiberglass will leave a smooth surface and the carbon stiffness. Then add the strips of foam reinforcement making triangles and an other layer of composite covering the foam in strips. Balsa wood can be used in place of foam.