View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 AM   #25 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumnasgt View Post
I both agree and disagree. I think the Volt should either use a system like all the other hybrids and direct-drive the wheels (especially with the physical connection already there), or even better: have the ICE completely disconnected from the wheels, and run it as a fixed output generator, running at peak efficiency all of the time, and just dumping excess power in the battery pack. Once the batteries are at a set charge level, the motor can switch off (like pulse and glide).

The latter is how I originally thought the Volt would work, as it makes a lot more sense than the super complex set up they have now.
The latter is how the Volt works more or less IIRC. Instead of just having one discrete state they have more than one depending on how much power the motor needs. There is a slight efficiency increase by only operating the Volt at whatever different states, but it's small compared to the drop in efficiency from generating efficiency to feed to the motor instead of just going from the engine to the wheels.