View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #53 (permalink)
Varn
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
I agree... I had not used my Fortrex for years as I thought that the battery was too short lived for even bicycling. I didn't consider using it at first because of the battery issue and was going to purchase a specific car unit but the then thought why don't I investigate a regulated voltage supply and use my old but functional Fortrex. The Fortrex was not modified in any way and could be used with the wrist strap and batteries almost instantly.

I chose a ka317 regulator. My build thread was here: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...elp-15135.html

I was an electronics technician for 5 years about 40 years ago and still do little projects.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Heh, I have a Garmin Foretrex 101 on my bicycle. The most annoying thing about it is swapping out the batteries. Your SMPS solution is a better one. Though I bet you could get away with a linear regulator instead. The Foretrex doesn't draw much current.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787