View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Two things struck me in that video:
  1. It seems that the bus driver (around 3:20) knew what to do when sliding (turned the front wheels into the slide),
  2. Some drivers prefer to drive onto a sidewalk with pedestrians (around 2:01), rather than to hit another car. Hitting something soft won't leave a dent, hopefully.
  1. Did you notice that bus slid down the hill... and it had chains on?
  2. You are assuming there is some level of control going on there and driving onto the sidewalk is intentional. I suspect that once the slide starts, these people are in full-on panic mode and there is no rational thinking going on. The car mostly just slides where gravity/momentum takes it.

I also live near Seattle, and it was a mess out there. It literally took people 5-10 hours to drive 40 miles that day. Many people abandoned their cars on the freway because they ran out of gas, just idling along.

It snows so rarely here that few people know how to drive in it and we don't have the appropriate equipment to clear it out in a timely manner.

I drive a RWD pickup and love driving in snow. I had no problem getting around in spite of my worn out tires, but I've got a lot of experience driving in snow. My wife, on the other hand, struggled to get up a modest incline with good all season tires and nearly wrecked her FWD Vue.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods